Sunday, January 1, 2012

Wine and Nut Sacks

So Yours truly was going to throw a killer party a week before Christmas. Then all hell broke loose. And by all hell I mean I broke myself. I threw out my back (ouch), two days later I came to find I had pinched a nerve and had the most miserable burning pain down my leg. Cut to two more days later and my cramped leg hurt so much I could barely walk on it causing suspicion that it was a blood clot. Fast forward through the resulting ultra-sounds and balanced diet of Advil and it was time to reschedule. So with Cocktail party redux in the works I vowed to spend less time on the kitchen tile (a contributing factor to the aforementioned pain). So my elaborate spread was replaced with more simple fare like cheese and crackers. The two things that did make it on the menu however were Roasted nuts (Ina Garten) and tomato-artichoke bruschetta And let me just say they were both slamin.
First let me just say that the nuts I made were also part of my co-worker gift this year. And my report back was that they were so good one of my co-workers said they were so good, her family went out and bought expensive cheese just to go with them. I know! Can’t imagine a better endorsement.

Also they were placed in a small cellophane bag and attached to a bottle of 90+ Wine, and my friend just HAAAAD to point out that I was taping my nut sack to each bottle. Try giving this gift when all you can think is “here enjoy this bottle of wine I taped my nut sack to”



Ina’s “Geoffrey’s really going to like these” nuts

Vegetable oil
3 cups whole roasted unsalted cashews
2 cups whole walnut halves
2 cups whole pecan halves
1/2 cup whole almonds
1⁄3 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder AND ½ teaspoon smoked paprika [Ina’s recipe is 2 teaspoons ground chipotle powder]
4 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves, divided
Kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Brush a sheet pan generously with vegetable oil. Combine the cashews, walnuts, pecans, almonds on a sheet pan. Combine 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, the maple syrup, brown sugar, orange juice, chili powder, and paprika [chipotle powder] in a bowl and whisk. Pour over nuts and toss to coat the nuts evenly. Add 2 tablespoons of the rosemary and 2 teaspoons of salt and toss again.
Spread the nuts in one layer. Roast the nuts for 25 minutes, stirring twice with a large metal spatula, until the nuts are glazed and golden brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with 2 more teaspoons of salt and the remaining 2 tablespoons of rosemary.
Toss well and set aside at room temperature, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking as they cool. Taste for seasoning. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight containers at room temperature.

Bruschetta recipe to follow.

2 comments: