Thursday, April 7, 2011

Cooking extravaganza: Tarragon Apple sauce, Campfire sauce and Pickles

…greatest pregnant meal ever
So I hope no one minds this post having a quick run through feel but I have done a lot of interesting things, none of which are interesting enough to warrant their own post. But I will break them into recipes so this doesn’t feel like Anna Karenina.

Campfire Sace (Now with Real Campfire)
As I mentioned in a previous post, when we went on our ill-fated dinner date to Red Robin (Yum), I was unhappy to find the campfire sauce tasted nothing like campfire. Well here is my remedy:

½ cup sour cream. Add ½ teaspoon each of smoked salt, smoked paprika, cayenne and ¾ tablespoon of BBQ seasoning (I used a generic brand instead of Pensey’s which I normally would because I didn’t want to accidently kill my friend Chrissy again…more on that later) Mix. Serve.

Now I should mention that I was stingy with the heat BECAUSE I may or may not have, after a brief hiatus, forgotten that I have an abnormal tolerance for heat that my friend Chrissy does not share. So when we went to Plan B (the restaurant not the birth control backstop) she asked me “is the Baja Burger spicy?” to which I replied “Nooo not really”. Well half way through the burger, as she chewed, mouth aflame, with a look in her eyes that said “we are back on hiatus you bitch” I remembered this taste difference between us and offered to switch burgers with her. The offering of half of my Pretzel Burger not only alleviated my guilt but also reminded me (as this burger seemed fine to me) that I am a freak and it appeased her enough to not bring me up on attempted murder charges. So naturally I was hesitant to make another hot dish for her lest she again vow to kill me for burning her face. But she didn’t think it was too spicy so mission accomplished. I mention it because this recipe really is “to taste” so if you are a callous-tongued heat monster like myself then go crazy with the heat.

Also an aside on this: “real” campfire sauce (like at Red Robin…..Yum) can apparently be made by mixing equal parts mayonnaise, and bbq and then adding cayenne. Good to know.

Tarragon Apple Sauce

Why? Just because. We had a fruit drawer full of macentosh apples we never ate and they were mushy. What to do? Make applesauce of course. As for the addition of tarragon I will say this: I had it. Yeah that’s all I’ve got. It came out really good. I was pleased. And the Tarragon flavor was subtle. I imagine this will be banging on some potato pancakes but everytime I turn around Marilou is having more (this is me not complaining) so I don’t know if it will make it that long.

Cut and core apples, and cut into quarters. Place in a pot with 2 tablespoons of water and the juice of a quarter of a lemon and two sprigs of fresh Tarragon. Cook over medium, stirring occasionally for about 20-30 mins. Remove Sprigs…serve.

Pickles

Ok I’m Polish. So I believe that everything is better bathed in vinegar. So naturally I had to, at some point, attempt the holy grail of sour snacks: Pickles. The recipe I followed was good, it was a Martha, and I was pleased with the outcome. HOWEVER, I may keep experimenting in this area. I feel like I could do better.

I should mention that the pickles, the applesauce and the campfire sauce were all made on the same day. This kindof makes it the end all be all of pregnancy meals. Just saying


A few Spice of Life posts for you:

Not sure if the stars are in line for a glass of wine tonight? There's an app for that.

This is interesting too. It is a "map" for Fresh Spring Ingredients This is just cool and I feel like a necessary post in light of hte nice weather we had this week.

And Lastly: I really want to make a Baked Alaska. It is very Retro and I think it's awesome. And then, Starbucks started selling mini-whoopie pies. Cute. Want to make. And WHAM! A theme party is born. I am very excited! Full skirts, cardigans, pearls, finger waves are mandatory. Maybe I'll make something retro for dinner like a brisket. Nothing like enjoying the 50's without the sexism.

I do not own this image

No comments:

Post a Comment