Monday, April 18, 2011

How Ethnic Food Can Cure Your Every Ailment

Ok so this one is a two parter:
1st: I want to talk about my stir-fry. Here is the recipe.
It was good, however, the sauce needed more flavor and the addition of the corn-starch ended up producing something that was almost gummy. So next time I’m going easy on the starch and little heavier on the flavor. I didn’t use chicken (I used shrimp, it was a Friday) first of all.

Second, I used no sesame seeds, and I added snow peas (they are quite tasty in a stir fry). Finally, my noodles ended up being bucatini because it was the only long pasta we had in the house besides angel hair. It was a little thick, and I would prefer to have spaghetti next time as this was a little too thick and heavy for the meal but it was good enough for government work. (I kid…the government would never be able to pull off a meal like this one)
Marilou liked it more then me, but I will keep you updated the next time I make it on the improvements.

2nd:
I would like to briefly tell you about our potato pancake extravaganza. Sometimes a friend needs you. He/she needs your love, support, and assistance in drinking away a bad week over a heaping plate of Polack food. And sometimes that friend resolves all of these issues before this cheer-up session begins. Let me just say, these are the best kind of cheer up parties. Unnecessary and still happening!!! Plus, like any good Polish girls, we love potato pancakes, and I was having a hell of a craving. And there is nothing this fried concoction can't sure. Sadness, anger, stress, tonsillitis, Anti-Social Personality Disorder (can't stop killing cats? have I got a cure for you!!)

So first we had to run to the store to buy chilies and MORE potatoes (oh..so we mean business do we? I should note that if you are Polish, a recipe is not complete until you have made enough to feed an underground anti-communist movement. So these recipes make about 18,000 pancakes. That's probably good for maybe an afternoon snack). Then we got a Starbucks (this step was totally necessary…you need energy to cook) and then we came home and put Mikey to work shredding potatoes. Call it an initiation. He’s a Polack like us now…I’m sure he’s so happy about this.

We decided on a variety:

Sweet Potato Pancakes
Grate 3 sweet potatoes (peeled), mix with two eggs and about a cup of flour (I’ll admit these measurements are a bit of a hard thing for me to put as I typically mix them till they are right…which if you are not Polish and therefore cannot make these by instinct is a bit annoying I know…sorry. They should hold together, still be a bit damp. The true test is when you put them in the oil. If they come out doughy and heavy you need less flour, and if they don't hold together you need more flour)
Mikey made it a point to tell me 11 times that he thought they would be good with nutmeg in them. This could be. I typically add scallions to mine. But the recipe is pretty basic so do what you heart desires.

Chili-cheddar Potato pancakes.
Grate 3-5 potatoes. Drain in a colander (ie put in colander and press with fork to remove excess moisture). Mix in two eggs (I’m pretty sure the recipe just wanted me to add flour (unless I can’t read…which is possible) but they were falling apart so we added eggs and flour and I’ll act on the assumption that I just fail at reading recipes) and again about a cup of flour (approximate), a small can of drained green chilies, half a diced onion and about a ½-1 cup of grated cheddar cheese.
Heat vegitable oil in large pan on med-high heat. Once it is warm, take two forks and “pinch” some of the pancake mixture between them (like you would with tongs) and place in pan, spreading out with fork for form a pancake about 3-4inches wide. (I realize this seems like a strange method, a lot of people just form them into actual pancakes, but I like them this way because they are chewy in the middle but you get a lot more of that crunchy outside. You’ll see when you cook them. Plus like so much Polish (or any) food this is just the way I was taught.)
Once they are cooked (2-3 mins each side) place on a plate covered with paper towel to drain and salt them. Once they are drained, place them on a separate plate. If you want to keep them warm you can turn the oven on to 250 degrees and leave them on a cookie sheet in the oven until all of them are finished. Ill mention that I turned on the oven, then never actually put them in. I think this was because we were all too busy munching on them to let them get cold.

Serve with sour cream, or apple sauce, and as we did , a lot of alcohol. Nooom

No comments:

Post a Comment