Monday, September 20, 2010

Relax...Don't do it...ok do it...like 8 times

So I have been trying really hard to get all of my law school reading done on the weekend rather then during the week because I have such a busy week to begin with, and with an extra assignment on my plate with week, I busted my butt trying to get everything done. And I did, after tortuous hours behind the keyboard, at about midnight Sunday before collapsing into a near-dead mass in my own droll. And how did I celebrate the next day when I woke up?!

By spending like 8 hours in the kitchen getting my Martha Stewart on!!! The result?!
I shall list:

1. Another Whiskey Apple Pie AND my first Pate Braise (spealling? who the hell knows...damn French language). This was quite good by the way. It's certianly daunting to your average baking novice (like myself) becuase pretty much every recipe contains like 80 instructions about how easily you can mess it up. But I made it through with little to no issue. Incidentally my friend Kate (a recent victim of dietary reistrictions) made on at the same time with vegan butter. I am pleased to say, teasing aside, that the taste wasn't too far off from the origional that I made. Though as a long time lactose intolerant (which I enjoy labeling myself as because it makes me sound so damn republican rather then soy drinker which affirms my status as a hippie) I am well aware of the pitfalls of alternative cooking ingrediants. And that being said, hippies can tell you whatever they want. Wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, free-free: it all tastes different. It's good, it's just as good, and sometimes better for you (though I could go on for hours about that) but it just doesn't taste the same. I know. Years of soy milk has left me perfectly content but it don't taste like milk...end of story. So while I was pleased with the overall result of our little culinary adventure....vegan butter will not be playing a role in my cooking endevers unless I am cooking for my dear dairy-free-friend.

2. I also had two acorn squash that Marilou picked up at the farm stand the other day, which I planned to make into soup. HOWEVER, when I made the puree, I was pleased to say it was so damn good I couldn't bring myself to do it and served it as is.

3. I also made Hippie Banana Muffins. Basically take your standard Banana Nut Muffin Recipe, substitute whole wheat flour, add honey rather then sugar and 2 tablespoons of wheat germ....time will tell if she noticed a taste difference...I'll keep you posted.

Happy dining

No comments:

Post a Comment