Monday, September 27, 2010

A Meal Fit For A Dad Birthday!!!

So kind reader I have truly outdone myself this time. For my Dad’s birthday we made him a special meal: are you ready for this menu:

Prime Rib
Horseradish sauce
Yorkshire pudding
Roasted potatoes
Brussels sprouts

And

Alsatian apple tart (based off of the Andre Soltner recipe)


finally this culinary masterpiece was paired with Beringer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon 2007. [this was recommended by the guy at the wine shop and I think was pretty much killer for a $20 bottle. When my dad got there he asked (of course) “so where is the beer?” to which he got the prompt response: “I spend 40 bucks on the wine you will DRINK IT!!!” ]

I didn’t even bother writing out the recipe because finding this one online I would have been typing for hours. This recipe is about the thickness of a small novel once all printed out (I exaggerate) but still very informative.
- note that on the horseradish sauce I did put about ¼ cup more then the most he suggests you put in. This may be because we are Polish though so be advised you’re better off starting on the low end (1/2 cup horseradish per container of sour cream) and increasing by taste. This is what I did though it involved about 13 extra additions of horseradish and frequent trips up the stairs with a spoon for Marilou to taste and comment.
- the tart is pretty simple (and soooooooo good…noooom) however, I put my pie in a tart pan (I have always seen them in such pans and assumed that’s what I was supposed to do) but did not account for the fact that the pan then has a less then secure seal at the bottom and after I poured the custard in, not thinking it would EVER drip over the side of the crust, was surprised to find it leaked out all over the inside of the oven….prompting a lot of panic and obscenity's. I cleaned it up a little before cooking resumed but suffice to say I had a pretty smoky oven
- just note that the best part about making Yorkshire pudding may not be eating it, it may be heating up the fat from the Prime Rib, pouring in the batter and watching it sizzle….very dramatic
- also: I am the best daughter ever!! I mean come on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment