Tuesday, September 7, 2010

An Alex Classic

So here is a time tested recipe that I was just really in the mood for today: Salmon and Onion Cooked in Parchment.

This is originally a Susanne Sommers recipe believe it or not.
- Lay out two pieces of parchment paper (already you look at the pictures and think I smoke something other then turkey breasts, but I ran out of parchment and found aluminum foil works also)
- add 1-2 sprigs of your favorite herb (I always use rosemary), 2 slices of lemon and brush with melted butter (about 2 tablespoons)
- season the salmon (Trick here: I always mix my salt and pepper before handling my meats so that I don’t have to worry about getting my meaty hands all over my shakers, or washing my hands constantly while I am trying ot season things)
- place the salmon, fleshy side down on top of the lemon slices
- dice one onion and add half to each “packet” on top of the skin
- close like you would a sandwich you were packing in your lunch (ie, fold up two sides, crease together, then fold ends over towards the center)
- bake for 20 mins at 400 degrees.
- Serve over rice (we served ours over brown and wild rice)


This meal will likely always be a favorite of mine for a couple reasons. The first is it is one of the first recipes I ever made myself. I feel a little nostalgic whenever I eat it.
Also this is one of the only recipes that ever gets a perfect 10 from the Russian Olympic Swimming judge I call a boyfriend (OK I make it sound as though he is ungrateful, he actually usually gives me in the 9’s and we work together to make every recipe the best it can be so please don’t take me seriously when I complain). In fact, this is a good recipe to have on the back burner whenever I need something.
(scene)
Alex: baby, umm, yeah I have to move, so can you come over and move my bed, and bookcase, and books, and table, and chairs, and can you bring your dad’s truck, …oh and a starbucks…for me?
Chris: umm
Alex: oh and I need you to take me underwear shopping and hold my purse in Victoria Secret for an hour
Chris: ehh
Alex: oh and then we can go home and watch a Project Runway Marathon
Chris: yeah…baby…um
Alex: I’ll make that salmon you like..
Chris: F**king hells yeah…done

See?

Well I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
Nom!!


PS: Go get a Pumpkin Spice Latte!!! They are back!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment