Monday, June 4, 2012

Kate’s Birthday or “it is literally a truffle” cake

So there is a beautiful tradition between my friend Kate and I that has endured since that fateful day we went to Starbucks and became friends. You see when we met, our broke asses couldn’t afford to do much for each other at our respective birthdays so we started a tradition: we made each other her birthday cake. And cards on the table, it is one of the best gifts I receive all year. She happily ventures out of her comfort zone like a hungry explorer to make me the most insane, experimental cake she can think of (see last year’s Margarita Cheesecake which was fabulous) and I similarly move out of my comfort some into the arena of Chocolate. And I don’t mean Hershey Bar Chocolate. I mean denser then Tolstoy, thicker than Beyonce’s behind, weightier then Seaborgium. I mean Choc O Late……

Well this year was extra special because it was a birthday/Kate’s a homeowner celebration. And while my 80 year old granny-spine kept me from being much use in the painting department, I supplied the Cake….job complete.

The cake:
Devil’s Food Cake with Ganache Frosting

Funny story: we took a break (and by “we” I mean everyone working and me) and made (re-heated) some pizza. Well while the pizza heated I had a baby slice of cake, as did the birthday girl/homeowner. Well one of her first comments was “this frosting tastes like a truffle” to which I responded “that’s because it literally is a truffle”. The frosting is made the same way you make truffles except that you whip air into the ganache instead of rolling it into balls (and coating it in cocoa powder …..which is gross…..don’t understand why we feel the need to take something delicious and roll it in something with the consistency of dirt)

Hence the new name:
It is Literally a Truffle Cake

The Cake recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens Little Red (Has Everything) Cookbook. The Ganache is actually not the one I used but Ganache is Ganache. The cake itself is a little ambitious….like me….see Literarily/pop Culture/ Atomic Weight joke.

My only comment was Kate thinks we should try the same frosting but with a moister, chocolate-ier cake like a genoise. I guess I can give that picky pain in my backside what she wants….it is her birthday ….*winky face

Ingredients

2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup shortening
1 ¾ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 eggs, separated
1 1/3 cups cold water

Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan(s) aside. Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2.In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat until well combined. Add egg yolkes, one at a time, beating well after each. Add the dry mixture and water alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
3. clean beaters. Whip egg whites till soft peaks form. Add ¾ cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into mixture until well combined.
4.Spoon batter into prepared pan(s), spreading evenly. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool layer cakes in pan on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool thoroughly on wire racks. Or, place 13x9-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly.

Ganache Frosting
• 9 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
• 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Directions
1. Place chocolate in a medium bowl. Heat cream in a small saucepan until bubbles begin to appear around edges (scalding); pour over chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes, then stir until smooth. Set aside at room temperature until cool and starting to firm up (maybe 20 mins)
2. Whip air into it with a handheld mixer until it is fluffy and frosting like (it will lighten in color to a light brown and will have a noticeable change in texture.
3. Make sure to store it in the fridge to harden up again, but I find it is best to take it out of the fridge about 5-10 mins before serving at least to let the icing soften up.

No comments:

Post a Comment