Saturday, April 7, 2012

Earthy Crunchy Breakfast



I know I love a good earthy, hippie recipe. I love whole wheat things. My sister makes fun of my preferred whole wheat bread, accusing me of eating bread with wood chunks and tree branches in it. One of the lovely women I work with has a word for this kind of food: Earthy Crunchy. Her husband apparently likes Earthy-Crunchy things like Ezekiel bread. I also love earthy crunchy things and there is no better way to describe the breakfast I made the other day.
See I was in Washington the other week, visiting my dear friend Kate. She and I have known each other going on 15 years (gasp) but sadly have lived tragically, geographically apart for about 9. So our get-togethers are epic. Need a testimonial? Last time we got together I visited her in Philadelphia I arrived by train, she picked me up, we briefly toured the city via tour bus so we I could get a “feel” for the city and decide what areas I wanted to go investigate further. Then we grabbed a bite to eat and hit up a champagne bar called…no joke…tiny bubbles. We eventually stumble home and I get a call from my now ex-boyfriend who comments on my slurring and asked “are you drunk?” …..yeeeeeesss…… “Alexandra it’s 8:00?!?!?!?!?”
Yeah
So this weekend visiting her at her new local in Washington, we decided we wanted to go to a beer tasting- zip-lining adventure. And that morning I slept a little late, so I skipped breakfast. We got to our local and stopped into a café and I caught sight of the most delicious sounding thing: Spelt-Quinoa Scones with ricotta cheese and jam. Well dear readers it was Deeeeee-licious

I was inspired to try this morning hippie fest at home but was majorly thwarted by the new chain- “whole-foods-esqe” store in Avon, which I learned, the hard way, was the worst hippie store ever. They had no spelt. And upon further investigation I found they had no soy yogurt either….how does that even happen?! Well in my haste I purchased scone mix (blueberry) and added a cup of cooked quinoa to it. (more successful recipe to follow) But readers it was heaven on earth. My aunt who doesn’t really care for my more crunchy adventures downed these scones like there were 1 millions dollars at the bottom of the bag. Recipe:
Simply add one cup of cooked and cooled quinoa to any scone muffin recipe. It adds a lovely texture and hearty taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment