Thursday, July 15, 2010

Captain Alexandra’s Mandolin



So today I’m trying something interesting: beet chips. One of the many fab things I found at Guidos, I had these delicious looking beets, and since I honestly have done very little with beets in the past (being a Pollack I pretty much grew up thinking pickled beets is the only way they can be prepared …and for good reason….DEEEEEElicious). so I found this recipe on Martha (where else) and thought, what the hey.

Here is the recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/beet-chips

Some notes about my beets.
1. I looked like I stabbed someone when I prepared this masterpiece. This was made even better by the fact that some random Eastern European man choose then to walk up to our back porch and measure it. I’m not kidding, you can’t make up something that random. I mean we are talking like David Lynch random here.
2. These chips were delicious, though I defiantly will make them thinner next time and they didn’t all crisp up the way I wanted.
3. in the recipe “lighten in color” really means “turns a orangeish color”
4. it didn’t say add salt but I did. This is a good idea trust me
5. and finally and most importantly: the mandolin is the best cooking tool ever. I would like to thank Martha who provided the one I used in the recipe when I attended a tapping of her show. While I think it’s a miracle I haven’t caused myself grievous bodily harm with one (they are very sharp) it really is one of my favorite tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment