Friday, July 29, 2011

Hey Dude!!

So it is a cardinal rule of hosting parties is you should never try out a recipe at a party. Well readers rules are meant to be broken (Assert your Independence and fight the system!!!!)

The past week my friends and I attended an outdoor concert here in town. OK we actually sat outside the immediate parameters of the concert in lawn chairs effectively doing the live version of illegal downloading. We are young, broke and beautiful...what can I say.

Well before our shameless concert stealing, we had a nice light dinner. I wasn't sure what to make and deferred to the preference of some of my friends (this is rare as I just usually make whatever I want and you WILL LIKE IT!!! I hope they took full advantage). Pasta was suggested, followed by an adamant request for fresh tomato pasta (as we then recalled was last served one night when my parents were away with three gallons of Cape Codders and some exciting digestive pyrotechnics). The only other suggestion I had was to make a salad with some avocado.

So in light of this I decided to make the aforementioned fresh tomato pasta and a garden salad with Avocado Ranch.

I've seen avocado ranch advertised on restaurant menus, have never had it and have absolutely no idea what it tastes like....BUT I love ranch dressing and had the crazy idea that I could make a version both healthier and more delicious by replacing the mayonnaise with pureed avocado. My thought process was mayonnaise provides the fat and therefore flavor in the original, and since avocados are very high in monounsaturated fat (which can help to ward off threats of heart disease and breast cancer as well as contribute to a less santa-like midsection then high carbohydrate diets) it would be an adequate replacement to the mayonnaise without substantial change to the texture and taste of the dressing. Well folks I was right and though I did break the well established rule to never take on the stress of a new recipe whilst you have company, I was confident that it would be good enough to take this risk. I was correct (as usual….it’s so hard to be right all the time let me tell you)

Here is the recipe:
Combine in a bowl 3-4 tablespoons each of chopped parsley, and chives (this is approximate). Add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper, ¼ cup of sour cream and one ripe avocado, pureed. Whisk together till creamy. Add skim milk, one teaspoon at a time then whisking until the desired consistency is reached. Season. Serve immediately.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment