Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I Hate My Camera Seafood

Bad news kids.....my camera, which so far this month has decided to turn on only when it wants to has now also deleted the pictures of one of my greater culinary accomplishments. You upset, cause I am.

But let's move on and begin the genesis of healing and talk about this meal that you are currently not looking at. It is one of my Top Chef inspirations. You see a few seasons ago the contestants went to Le Cirque and had to recreate a potato-wrapped bass and leeks dish. Well Marilou found a recipe for this dish and I thought...what the hey.

Well it came out pretty good but not without hitches. First of all, the recipe was vague to say the least. Things like sweating the leeks was pretty straight forward, as well as sweating the shallots. Don't need more specific directions. Same with the very instructive "cook the fish" (I elaborate, it mentioned it had to be brown, though no reference was made to at what temperature) HOWEVER, the sauce gave me problems. I had to sweat the shallots, then add wine, reduce, add cream, reduce, whisk in butter. However, with no more specific instructions I made a sauce that was pretty good but I had no idea if it was right or not.

That being said, I need to make the potato thinner and need to make more leeks, but the overall effect was delicious!!! Just look at the ....oh yeah

The second Top Chef inspiration that is not pictured in this blog, is a Faro-Salad inspired by this seasons US Open challenge where they had to make healthy food. One of the contestants made Faro, which I had never heard of, so I picked some up at Guidos, and then made a salad. I cooked the faro, which is prepared similarly to rice, and added it to some cooked vegetables (peas, yellow pepper, chive, tomato) and
tossed it with a Dijon Dressing. AMAZING!

I also saw a recipe for faro "oatmeal", with mango. That's next. It's so tasty, and filling, and chewy. A new favorite for sure.

Well happy NOMMING
Keep an eye out next week when I will be making deep fried digital camera

No comments:

Post a Comment