Thursday, February 17, 2011

Eat my Shit Cupcake trend

So there has been a lot of annoying talk for the past two years or so about cupcakes. They are trendy. And like Uggs and Ray-ban wayfarers, I think it is time so heat came off of them and onto other delicious confections.

Now don't get me wrong, I love the little bastards. In fact, I have a Gale Gand recipe for them which, with one bite, would make you my slave for life. But frankly, I have enough slaves and need a break from the kitchy-cuteness that is the cupcake. To that end I have recently come into possession of one of the most detailed guides to making Macarons I have ever seen. And such discovery is inspiring this post.

1. Unless you are very unhip to the many trends in the world of food, you have heard some considerable buzz about the little not-quite-cookie recently. And rightfully so. They are delicious. They have a delicate, slightly chewy outside, with a decadent filling (of some kind). They are of course to be distinguished from the Macaroon, the coconut cookie that is dense, sweet and also, quite delicious. Part of me almost feels bad for this cookie as I think in the confusion between it and it's single-O'd counterpart, it's getting looked at as low-brow. This is hardly fair. (I'll mention that I was going to post the Wikipedia page for each of these so you could see the difference but I though to myself, "Wait! If you don't know the difference and didn't take it upon yourself to look it up you desire your ignorance, and such laziness shall not be tolerated")

2. I rant now because I am increasingly annoyed with the willfully ignorant in an age when information is so readily available. So I'm apologizing in advance for my angry posts about it. I have no problem with mistakes, but failing to take the time to inform yourself before making the world you poor recipient of comment based on a lack of education and the dead air between your ears is just unacceptable.

3. Ranting aside, I have made these little babies before and let me tell you....They. Are. Good. I was upset however, that I had found a great recipe for the "cookie" part itself, and I apologizes for calling it a cookie when it really isn't considering how you make it...simplicity though, and yet I have never found a good filling recipe. After painstakingly constructing the foundations of my chocolate and black tea macrons, the recipe told me to feel each respective flavor with jam. Eh? Why don't I wear my sweat pants with my Louboutin's too?! I did not put in that kind of work to half ass in the final quarter.

Well this recipe seems to have what I'm looking for and I'm quite pleased. The only thing left to do now is find an excuse to make them. I may ask my parents if they want to come over....this also gives me an excuse to make the butternut squash- goat cheese pizza I have been wanting to make. Two Birds.

Plus I have to mention that the recipe was acquired by me in the most suspicious of circumstances. I found the link on Epicurious. I went to the website and was told I could enter my name and Email so that I could be sent a confirmation, and then get the recipe. ?? Fear gripped me. Nightmare images of my overfilling inbox, full of special offers on Penis-enhancers started to numb my brain. Could any pretentious French pastry be worth the pain. Well, outside of deflecting the email to my "junk address" so far so good on the potential sweet-toothed stalkers or butter-cream pyramid schemes. I still think it's a scary proposition though. But we shall see. If I'm still alive, and not crushed under the weight of my inbox next week I'll post the link.
I will keep you posted

happy noming

No comments:

Post a Comment