Friday, February 11, 2011

It’s a 7-11, do you wanna take a walk outside, if you want a burrito, you can have another bite of mine

So today was one of those days where your sitting down at like 3, working on law homework (Yeah felt like a change from the usual so I thought….hmmm maybe law homework) and Marilou asks “what do you want for dinner?” and you reply “I don’t know. You?” “I don’t know” puzzled looks. Full still from lunch and not in the mood for anything at all.

So in the interest of a more healthy and different option I made Veggie Burritos.

This is a only slightly adapted adaptation (yeah I said it) of an Epicurious recipe:

In a sauce pan over med-high sauté chopped onions in a tablespoon of veggie oil. When they are golden brown, add a large pinch of Cayenne pepper and a dash of smoked paprika. Stir for a fe seconds, then add ½ a chopped bell pepper, ½ cup thawed frozen corn, 1 carrot grated and sauté for about 5 mins. Then add 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans, and about ½ cup of salsa (the recipe called for stewed tomato’s and a jalapeno, but I had neither and did have a jar of fresh homemade salsa I made for SuperBowl Sunday soo..) Cook another 2-3 mins until everything is heated through.
Assembly: take a tortilla (helpful to keep in a 350 degree oven wrapped in aluminum foil prior to making) add handful of grated Vermont Cheddar (recipe called for Monterrey Jack which yours truly did not have, but it came out delicious with the geographically unsound cheese in its place) Add bean mixture (if you want you can add poached chicken too (which I did) but ultimately I find it is just as good without) wrap. Serve with Sour Cream, Landshark, and Pete Yorn’s song “Burrito”.

This was a great break from the “I don’t know what to eats” and is one of my new favorite recipes.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment