Monday, March 21, 2011

Vacation (All I Ever Wanted) Detox

So reader, I am sorry I have been absent all week but I was on vacation in South Carolina. Miss me? Cause I missed you.

I went down on my Spring Break to visit one of my best friends in the world, and I had an awesome time. In sum: one day we went to the beach, got totally sunburned and had a steady beer-buzz between the hours of 11AM and 9:30 PM. That tells you everything you need to know I feel.

HOWEVER, the insanely fun trip has created two necessities in my mind:

1. I NEED A DETOX! If your daily bread is actually a Landshark (or ten) then suffice to say my no longer 20-year-old body needs to reprogram and get the "evil" out. So what do you eat when you have indulged in vices like a Sunburned Caligula? Make Farro. I have talked about this super-grain before, and because of the health benefits it seemed like a good catylist for my "evil be gone" recipes. So I cooked a bunch and made two things:
Farro Salad
and
Farro porrage.

To be fair my porriage was more like cereal (it is not creamy and while I have a recipe in my big binder of recipes that describes how to make it creamy, I didn't have the energy). Take about 2 cups cooked Farro, add mango (frozen, thawed) blueberries (ditto) peaches (yeah) and walnuts (believe it or not these were frozen too). To serve, add any of the following sweeteners: 2-3 tablespoons Agave (we have blueberry agave and it was GOOD), 2-3 tablespoons honey, brown sugar (how come it tastes so good?)etc. Heat in microwave if coming out of the fridge and ENJOY.

The salad:
dice: bell pepper, tomato, carrot. Add frozen corn (I actually used Trader Joe's Soy-cotash so that also has peppers, soy beans etc) thawed. Mix dressing: I made a standard Dijon Vinaigrette (clove of garlic minced, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper. Whisk, whisk in olive oil.
Toss with farro and vegetables.

It is very good hot, but also great refrigerated and re-heated as I had it for dinner not 30 minutes ago. I already feel evil free.

2. I NEED TO MAKE ROCK LOBSTERS!!
This video is meant to be enjoyed in tandim with this post. I in no way suggest ownership rights to this video.I should note also that I will likely garner no financial benefit from posting this video, or in fact more readers, so no worries B-52's, this post will likely in no way effect your ability to sell records. Not to mention the fact that I can not be held responsible for the fact that no person under the age of 70 can hear the term rock lobster without then yelling "Rock Lobster" as per your song, so the necessity of this video posting is out of my hands.


We went to a restaurant called Nacho Hippo both the first night I was there and the fateful Wed we were blitzed for almost 12 hours (sigh...I'll mention as I write this that I just walked into class in the snow....FML) And what meal does our foodie blogger start her noming adventure with? A lobster taco called a Rock Lobster (oh and the best $3 Margaretta I have ever had). It was tempura fried lobster (crunchy not greasy) with a "spring mix" of lettuce, and honey mustard. Shit was delicious. So now my new goal is to make one. I'll keep you posted

Well like I said before the snow outside the academic torture chamber I now reside in is depressing indeed but I can at least read about my vacation and sigh about a better time. Let me tell you, hanging out with one of your closest friends on a beach beats the hell out of school

Hope everyone elses spring break was as good as mine
Good Night and Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment